The Duncan's have arrived!!



Well after a crazy (and expensive) couple of months we have finally arrived at our new home in Oman!! Colin was offered a new position with work which meant us relocating permanently and we only had 8 weeks notice to pull it together. Eeekk! Now we knew it could be on the cards for a few months but we didn't expect it to happen so soon and apart from a couple of things in life that we had to arrange it really was simple, we just had to go!

One of these things in life that we had to arrange was our wedding, we got engaged in January 2012 but neither of us expected a wedding quite so soon and hadn't even begun saving for one so we had to get a wriggle on and do something about it. If you know anything about The Middle East and Muslim culture then you will understand why we really had to get married before we arrived in Oman. It is even forbidden for a man and lady to share a house together if they are not related or married so we needed to start our new life together properly and not living in secret.
So while Colin was working away I had the task of arranging our wedding on my own and in secret, now I've never even planned a party before never mind my own actual wedding and on a budget that wouldn't even buy me half a decent car so I had to keep it simple. I even sold Colin's TV to pay for my dress so sacrifices had to be made on both sides. At the end of a stressful three weeks of planning on the 9th August 2012 got hitched and had a very intimate and sweet day, nothing fancy and only five guests each then a meal at night time. Ideally we would have liked to have all our loved ones there to share our day but time, finances and everything else just didn't allow for that to happen. 





If you had told me a year ago that we would be married and actually living in the Middle East I would not have believed you and if you told me the same thing two years ago I would have told you that you needed mental help. I could never have predicted how my life would turn out but maybe that's a good thing? I love my husband and as corny as it sounds he really is my best friend so I am so glad we can take this adventure together.

I arrived into Muscat on the 3rd of September 2012 to join my Hubby and our dog, Penny, they had both already made the journey prior so it was so nice to be reunited with both of them and see our new home! I had only seen pictures of our new house as Colin had arranged everything on his own while I sorted everything back at home. One word - Wow!
Now if you have met my husband you may understand my reservations, he tends to get distracted by football, beer and generally anything really but he really had slogged his guts out to do something brilliant for us so I guess I will stop moaning about not getting a honeymoon ;)




When you hear about The Middle East the stereotype usually is not a nice one as all we see on the news is fighting, war, The Taliban and dead people lying in the street... And I won't judge you for assuming that Oman would be like that also, I certainly had those thoughts myself before I arrived for my first vacation in October 2011 but I am so pleased that I was so completely wrong!
Oman is one of the most developed and stable countries in the Arab world. But of course it is a Muslim country so that is taking me a wee while to get used to, they have so many different ways of doing things than back home in the UK but I am keen to learn and even picking up on a bit of Arabic as I go.
"Salam aleikum" is a greeting to someone such as hello but literally means "peace be upon you", if you learn these then your laughing they love this stuff so I will keep trying, although they may actually be laughing at my pronunciations.

Just now the locals are telling me that it is a nice temperature but I am still roasting, it will take a few weeks to get used to it. Just so you know how hot it is here then this should help you...

[hide]Climate data for Oman
MonthJanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDecYear
Average high °F (°C)81
(27)
79
(26)
84
(29)
93
(34)
102
(39)
104
(40)
100
(38)
97
(36)
97
(36)
95
(35)
86
(30)
81
(27)
91.5
(33.1)
Average low °F (°C)63
(17)
63
(17)
70
(21)
75
(24)
84
(29)
88
(31)
86
(30)
82
(28)
81
(27)
75
(24)
70
(21)
64
(18)
75.1
(23.9)
Precipitation inches (mm)0.5
(12.7)
1
(25.4)
0.598
(15.2)
0.701
(17.8)
0.299
(7.6)
0
(0)
0
(0)
0
(0)
0
(0)
0
(0)
0.299
(7.6)
0.5
(12.7)
3.9
(99)
Source: weather.com[29]