White female in a Muslim world

As you can probably imagine, it is taking a bit of getting used to being a white female in a Muslim country. I am so used to living in the UK and the way of living there it is quite a culture shock here. Sometimes it is all a bit strange to me but I've tried not to take it personally and to see the humorous side of things in order to help me to cope. 

Yes, there are bad sides to being a white female over here such as you have to cover up appropriately while out in public which means the dreaded tan lines! My skin is starting to look like a patchwork quilt! Luckily for me, in Oman women are not made to wear a burka or headscarf but you do need to cover shoulders and knees whilst in public and be respectful to their way of doing things.
Some men can be a bit creepy and forward towards you or just stare, but you get that back home in the UK too I guess but you just accept them as creeps. Alot of men, and women, are just fascinated by white skin! Back home I spend so much money on sun beds and new brands of Fake Tan but here they spend a lot of money on skin bleaching products to be pale like me.

Quite often men just want nothing to do with me and ask to speak to "The Boss", who is Colin of course, they just aren't used to dealing with a female. This can be frustrating!

But sometimes the divide between men and women can be a good thing, you get signs like this in the supermarket so you don't have to stand next to any men:


When I was at the dentist and in the waiting room I made the mistake of sitting on the wrong row of chairs, even there they have female waiting areas. I need to be more aware of these signs! (possibly to the no phone one also..)



Even in the shopping mall's they have signs reminding you of how to act and how to dress, they have good ideas though if only they enforced these rules in the UK!!

On a trip to the police station (due to some visa issues) I had an Omani male companion and we had to sit at opposite sides of the room.





So yes there are some strange things here to get used to but on the whole I feel very safe which is a nice feeling. On the whole the people are respectful and friendly, you just have to remember their ways and you won't have an issue.

On my closing note, some signs are just weird: